Functions of the thyroid gland
The thyroid is a small ductless gland weighs less than one ounce, located in the neck along the windpipe or trachea. The thyroid is the only place where iodine is absorbed in the body
Iodine comes from the different foods we eat and is essential in small quantities to make thyroid hormones :. Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). These hormones are then distributed throughout the body where they control metabolism in every cell. Metabolism is the body vi oxygen from the air we breathe and calories from the food we eat into energy.
What is the thyroid?
“Hypo” means too little or below normal, and “thyroidism” is a disease of the thyroid gland. The “dysfunction” is a disease of too little thyroid activity or decreased thyroid function.
thyroid is the result of too little thyroid hormone. This can happen when the thyroid gland does not produce enough hormones, under-active thyroid, OR thyroid produces enough hormones, and hormones break down too quickly and can not use the body.
- Thyroid produces too little hormone .
- Hashimoto’s disease – the body creates allergies thyroid hormones, destroying them and causing low hormone
- undiagnosed thyroid problem – normal levels of thyroid hormone laboratory T3 & T4 , but have recurring or non responsive health; patients often do better when supplemented with nutrients or thyroid hormone.
- Viral infection may be inflammation of the thyroid gland, causing hyperthyroidism.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism
- fatigue, slowed heart rate
- irritability, mental depression
- cold sensitivity
- slow or slurred speech
- drooping and swollen eyes, swollen face
- repeated and frequent infections, decreased immunity
- increased allergic reactions
- hair loss, brittle hair
- problem with calcium metabolism
- Women heavy menstruation, painful menstruation, premenstrual tension
- Children decreased growth and development
Home Thyroid Test
Take your temperature every morning for 3 days before you wake up and get out of bed.
1. Before falling asleep every night, keep the thermometer next to your bed.
2. In the morning before rising out of bed, lying still, and take the temperature under the armpits for 15 minutes. Make except on the first day of bleeding and the middle of the menstrual cycle.
3. Calculate the average temperature. If your body temperature is below 97.5 F, and consistently low, this may indicate a thyroid problem. The lower the temperature, possibly, the more thyroid problems.
- Hypersensitivity Food allergies
- B vitamin deficiencies
- digestive enzymes
- Hormone imbalance
alternative treatments for hypothyroidism
1. Eat foods high in iodine
- root (ie. Potatoes, carrots, etc.)
- Eating foods high in vitamin B complex
- nutritional yeast
- raw nuts and seeds
- sprouted whole grains
3. Avoid these foods that naturally slow down thyroid function before
- cabbage, Brussels sprouts
- mustard greens, kale, spinach
- peaches, pears
4. Eat foods high in vitamins A, except those listed in # 3
- dark green and yellow vegetables
1. Avoid sulfa drugs & antihistamine
- any medication with sulfur, sulphate, sulphite, etc.
- something known as antihistamine allergy medicine
2. While taking thyroid medication, be sure take calcium supplements. Thyroid medication is known to cause rapid bone loss.
Chiropractic Care hypothyroidism
Along with the change in diet, nutrition therapy and other treatments, chiropractic care is very effective for hypothyroidism
- balances hormones
- Increased immunity
- Adds Allergy
- Adds gastrointestinal problems
- useful for headaches, irritability, mental health
- Adds premenstrual symptoms
Take a multivitamin, showing good absorption will be helpful for symptoms. Take a vitamin with food. In addition, the following may be helpful.
- tyrosine (amino acid)
- B vitamins
- Calcium, magnesium
- Essential fatty acids
- vitamin A
Other treatments for hypothyroidism
These following therapies may be helpful for self-care and home care under professional supervision.
- Biofeedback Training
- Qi Gong
- Juice Therapy – warning :. NOT juice any fruit or vegetables on the ban list above
- Aerobic exercise – very important
- Hydrotherapy – Contrast Application daily to increase thyroid
- Homeopathy – 1M Calcium carbonate is beneficial; Iodum
- gentian or mugwort – mild dysfunction cases can help
- Kelp – only if there is a lack of iodine
- Yellow Dock, pumpkin puree, or Cascara Sagrada – to ease constipation
- St. John Wort – antidepressant
This treatment should be carried out by a qualified health care professional.
- Cell Therapy
- Magnetic Field Therapy
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Traditional Chinese Medicine